We are recruiting a Copy Director to lead our team of copywriters full-time in Edmonton, Alberta. A relocation package is available.
We are the premier conversion copywriting agency specializing in B2B SaaS and e-commerce copywriting for websites and emails; increasingly we are moving toward segmentation and personalization initiatives, which is becoming super-interesting (and which you’re sure to love, if copy is your thing). Our fast-growing team includes researchers, account leads, a head of operations, a copy chief and a selection of specialized copywriters.
ABOUT YOU: You’ve spent the last decade moving up the ranks at an agency and/or in-house for a large tech company. Your focus on combining research, analytics, product insight, competitive insight, UX, SEO and CRO with copywriting is what’s set you apart in your career. Your refined perspective on experimental copywriting – that can be measured and optimized – is what helps you achieve outstanding results for your team/clients.
ABOUT THE ROLE: You’ll oversee and direct all copywriting. Every email, landing page, ad and website we write will go through you and involve you; you’ll work hands-on with in-house and contract copywriters to:
- Ideate and brainstorm
- Develop strategies and new approaches to solving digital marketing challenges
- Coach our copywriters to push for “breakthrough or bust” copy
- Constantly ask and answer “Why?”
- Transform research- and framework-driven outlines into first drafts into outstanding final drafts
- Review all copy before sending it, in its best possible state, to the Copy Chief / CEO
- Review past copy successes and failures, for our team and in published studies, to drive repeatable frameworks
- Identify growth opportunities for our copywriters and yourself, and develop plans to address those opportunities
In an effort to drive experimentation and truly world-class copy, you will also write copy, regularly run copy training and workshopping sessions, influence research initiatives and act as copy editor.
You will lean heavily on the science of copywriting – including research, frameworks and formulas – while also bringing an artfulness to the copy you and the team produce. If the team doesn’t know why they’ve written something a certain way, you will spot that and coach them to better challenge conventions.
To succeed in this position, you should:
- Be well-versed in growth and copywriting, and voraciously consume content on optimizing online sales – this is something you still love not just something you’ve been doing for a while
- Have 8+ years’ experience in hands-on copywriting, creative direction and digital optimization
- Have 3+ years’ experience coaching / leading teams of copywriters
- Understand information design, including messaging hierarchies, with 3+ years’ experience in wireframing web pages, apps and more
- Have a degree or diploma in English, Marketing, Psychology or Journalism
- Meet deadlines
- Be tech-savvy
- Speak digital marketing – backlinks, funnels, split-tests, segmentation, the list goes on
- Craft good arguments using rhetorical devices, persuasive techniques and an always-growing understanding of human decision-making
- Write very well
- Work with hunger
Reports to: Copy Chief / CEO Joanna Wiebe
The position will close when filled.